Finding a Healthy Mate Through Online Dating
Single people all over the world are creating virtual profiles in hopes of finding a real, live love connection. Currently, one in ten Americans report using an online dating site or mobile app to find a partner. While online dating can be more relaxing than bar hopping, the tricky part is getting your healthy, authentic self to resonate from the screen.
If you’re obsessed with yoga, green juice, and meditation, you’re probably seeking a partner with a similar lifestyle. But finding a healthy match in cyberspace can be tougher than running that half marathon you just completed.
So how do you attract healthy suitors online? Meet your match with these tips:
1. Say cheese. Posting active photos will demonstrate your healthy lifestyle. Fellow daters will see you in action and envision you hitting the gym or playing tennis together. According to Julie Spira, a cyber-dating expert and author of The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online, “Online daters are visual, so posting active photos is essential.”
2. Be positive. Healthy people strive for positivity and seek it in others. Focus on the traits you do want in a partner instead of making a laundry list of turn-offs. Wasting space listing things you’re not attracted to can come across as negative. Also, describe activities and food you enjoy as opposed to those you tend to avoid.
3. Talk green juice, etc. Green juice is fuel for healthy guys and gals. If you’re a regular drinker, definitely mention that you love your liquid kale. Feel free to touch on the hot yoga class that kicked your butt or your favorite health food spot. These terms will stand out to those who share your interests.
4. Be you. There’s nothing more attractive to the health-conscious than authenticity. Be honest about your habits—don’t say you exercise five times a week if it’s really five times a month. As Spira cautions, “You don’t want someone thinking you’re up for a 10-mile hike if you can barely make it through one mile. You shouldn’t misrepresent yourself.”
5. Don’t overdo it. Make sure your profile is a good balance between your commitment to coconut water as well as your favorite summer cocktail. “No one likes an extremist,” says Spira. Portraying balance will show that you’re not afraid to split an ice cream once in a while.
If you’re on a dating site to attract your healthy other half, keep these tips in mind. If your profile accurately reflects your true, healthy self, you and your new mate will be splitting a bottle of organic wine in no time.
Photo Credit: Pexels