Good food, good conversation and good friends: what could be better than hosting a fun dinner party? These get-togethers are usually jam-packed with enjoyment—and sometimes, serious overindulging (the food’s just so good!). As a host, the key to a successful shindig is keeping your guests healthy and happy while the good times unfold.
Here’s what you need to know about hosting a healthy one.
1. Bring on the Veggies. Veggies are the healthiest food we can eat. They contain tons of vitamins and minerals we need for optimal health. It doesn’t hurt that they’re pretty tasty, either. Feel free to include all different vegetables in your appetizers, main course and side dishes. Using veggies in each course will allow your friends to reap the many benefits of these nutrient dense goodies.
2. Nix the Sugary Drinks. Cocktails, though fancy, usually contain tons of sugar, especially when mixed with fruit juice or other sweeteners. If you’re serving adult beverages, opt for vodka mixed with club soda for less sugar and fewer calories. Red wine works too, as it contains minimal sugar and even has some health benefits as well.
3. Control the Portion Sizes. Try to avoid the buffet, all-you-can-eat style dinner party. Instead, serve individual portions to each person. By plating your courses, you can control the amount of food your friends consume. This way, they won’t overeat and accidentally pass out on your couch in a food coma.
4. Serve a Healthy Dessert. You don’t have to skip dessert in order to keep a healthy theme!Dessert is everyone’s favorite course, and you definitely don’t want your guests to feel deprived. So, serving a sweet treat that’s both delicious and healthy (like this green mint and lime sorbet) is always a winner.
5. Have Fun!& It’s your party, so enjoy it! While you’re running around cooking and cleaning,don’t forget to enjoy yourself. Spending time with good friends is one of the healthiest things we can do for our body. Our relationships provide us with support and love, which keep our spirits high. So, kick back, relax and just have a fabulous night.
The next time you’re having people at your place, try to follow these hosting tips. Sticking to them will help keep your guests healthy while they let loose a bit.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock