Well Fourth of July came and went. You thoroughly enjoyed yourself, and let go of any guilt around your food choices, because life is meant to be well-lived, and not spent counting calories! You had a few too many festive cocktails, some delicious ice cream on the beach, and lots and lots of back-yard barbecue snacks, but now your gut is telling you that while the holiday was fun, it’s time for a re-set.
Our bodies really do thrive off a sense of routine, and while they are highly adaptable, it is totally normal for your digestion, energy, and even mood to be a bit off after a few days of some out of the ordinary food, drink, and lifestyle choices. But rather than looking back on the fun holiday weekend spent with friends and family regretting your not-so-perfect food choices, instead look forward, and think about all the wonderful choices you have the power to make in the days to come.
As an integrative dietitian, I know that the body is incredible at detoxing itself naturally, but I also believe that sometimes it can benefit from a little support. That’s why I love recommending short and manageable resets especially after long-holiday weekends.
This simple three-day reset is perfect for gently giving your body the nutrients and movement it needs to support a healthy gut, glowing skin, and improve energy after a fun holiday away!
Three Day Reset Lifestyle Tips
- Drink 1 liter of filtered water immediately upon rising: This is going to help improve your digestion, and work to re-hydrate your body after a weekend of a little too much coffee and alcohol.
- Aim to consume 2-3 liters of water per day: This is a non-negotiable and is critical for resetting your digestion and helping your skin look its best.
- Avoid Coffee and Alcohol: Instead switch to a delicious iced herbal tea, iced matcha latte, or infused lemon water to help promote hydration. For a fun after work drink pour some kombucha into a wine glass and enjoy!
- Prioritize Sleep! This is one of the most important things you can do for your body over the next three days. Aim to get between 8-9 hours of quality sleep each night and avoid cell-phone and computer use before bed.
- Get Sweating! There is nothing like a good sweat-sesh to naturally flush any remaining toxins out of your body, and help encourage your digestive track to get moving. My favorite is to take a hot yoga class or head to a spin class.
- Limit Excessive Snacking: Try to keep snacks to a minimum over the next three days. You want to give your digestive system a break, and allow it to get back to feeling its best, which can be hard to do if you are always snacking. While you may feel like your cravings for carbohydrates are out of control, focus on consuming protein & fat rich snacks if you need them to help balance these cravings. Some great options are: 1. 2 Rice Cakes With 1/4 Avocado and Pumpkin Seeds 2. Fruit Free Protein Smoothie - My favorite combo is to combine ALOHA Chocolate Vegan Protein with 1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter, and 2 cups non-dairy milk blended together with ice 3. Goji Berry Cashew Energy Bites - Find the recipe here 4. Green Apple with 1 Tablespoon Almond Butter
- Breakfast: Gut Healing Green Smoothie (see recipe below)
- Lunch: 2 Egg Omelets with Kale, Mushrooms, and Tomatoes. Top with 1/4 avocado and add a 1/4 cup sauerkraut on the side for some healthy probiotics.
- Dinner: Vegetarian Collard Wraps with a side of sliced sweet potato wedges - Find the recipe here
- Breakfast: Gut Healing Green Smoothie
- Lunch: Rainbow Shredded Salad - This salad is loaded with fiber and antioxidants, and will keep you feeling full longer! Add your choice of lean protein such as wild caught salmon, organic chicken, or organic tofu. Find the recipe here
- Dinner: Broiled Veggie Frittata - This frittata is loaded with veggies and is the perfect meal for a lazy dinner. Find the recipe here
- Breakfast: Gut Healing Green Smoothie
- Lunch: Large Chopped Salad with Organic Romaine, Cucumbers, Cherry Tomatoes, Sliced Sweet Potato, Grilled Chicken, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil Dressing with a Squeeze of Fresh Lemon
- Dinner: Grilled Salmon with Roasted Asparagus, Brown Rice, and Lemon-Tahini Dressing
Gut Healing Green Smoothie
- 1 scoop ALOHA Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 packet ALOHA Superfood Greens
- 2 cups fresh organic spinach
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/2 cup frozen papaya or 1/4 frozen banana
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 4 ice cubes
1. Add all ingredients into a high speed blender
2. Blend on high until smooth and creamy
3. Pour over ice and enjoy slowly