In loving memory of the gorgeous Tina Leigh.
Digestion begins with the eyes, and so the food we eat should be beautiful! It doesn’t take much to enhance the aesthetic of a simple green salad and doing so raises the bar on flavor and texture as well—an added bonus!
Some of my favorite go-tos for elevating salad appeal are toasted seeds, freshly chopped herbs, edible flowers, dried fruit, avocado, a variety of finishing salts and oils, crushed nuts, and shaved seasonal veggies. In this recipe, you’ll see how simple it is to beautify your bowl of greens simply by adding some of these gems.
Serves Two to Four
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 packet ALOHA Daily Good Greens
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 4 cups herbed lettuce mix
- 1 small fennel bulb, shaved
- 1 large carrot, peeled into long strips
- 4 large radishes, shaved
- 3 celery stalks, julienned
- 1/2 medium avocado, cubed
- Pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Edible flowers
- Fresh ground black pepper and flaked sea salt, to taste
- In a blender, combine pine nuts, sea salt, garlic, olive oil, the Daily Good Greens, and lemon juice until dressing is creamy and completely combined.
- In a large bowl, toss lettuces, fennel, carrot, radish, celery, and enough dressing to lightly coat. Divide between serving bowls, and top with avocado, pumpkin seeds, edible flowers, black pepper, and flaked sea salt.